Here is another pair of overalls using timeless treasures fabric.
Friday, November 7, 2008
Wow it's already November! What a busy start to the school year. My latest creation is a Jumper in a Kaufman Corduroy Apple print. It was made from a jumper pattern created by Cindy Taylor Oats. This jumper went together quite quickly. The little ruffle at the waist was extremely cute.
Posted by Tracy at 3:57 PM
Sunday, July 13, 2008
Okay, after looking at all my pants and shorts options for my Riley I decided to start from scratch and draft a pants pattern. Coni Amaden-Crawford has a wonderful book Pattern making Made Easy. It's a cookbook like approach to pattern drafting. Riley has such a unique body type, she is 9 years old and has a very tall heavy body frame. Children's plus size patterns are quite large on her, and adult patterns have the wrong proportion. Here is a picture of the pants back. Here is a picture of the muslin. The only modification I made from the instructions was to use a 5 1/2" hip line measurement instead of the 4" for kids or the 7" for adults.
Here is a picture of the finished pants.
Posted by Tracy at 5:30 AM
Monday, June 30, 2008
My oldest daughter really needs some summer shorts. I've been looking for a pants or shorts pattern that will fit her. These looked like they would work great. I made the test pair in rayon from JoAnn fabrics. Sewing these was extremely easy! The waist band is actually elastic all the way around but done in a way to look like it creates a flat panel. If they had fit her I would be making a whole collection of them it's such a great pattern. Unfortunately Riley has a unique body shape and they just didn't look very good on. The center front seem bound on her making them very uncomfortable.
Posted by Tracy at 4:04 PM
Tuesday, June 17, 2008
Yesterday I finished a very simple skirt using S1101 Elastic Waist A-Line Skirt from Fashion Patterns by Coni. It's made in a blue rayon from JoAnn Fabrics. The skirt construction was extremely simply, my only difficulty was putting in the casing for the elastic. The pattern is made to fit the larger figure and the front is curved slightly making the casing tend to ripple. The resulting fit was well worth the extra effort of placing the casing. The only change I made to this pattern was to use a narrow rolled hem instead of the marked hem. Narrow rolled hems are my favorite way to finish rayon skirts. All in all this skirt took me less than 1 1/2 hours to finish from opening the pattern envelope to taking it's picture!
Posted by Tracy at 5:52 AM
Saturday, June 14, 2008
Here are 3 sets of overalls I've been working on for the last 2 weeks. They are based on a heavily modified version of McCall's pattern number 2819. This has been one of my very favorite patterns over the years. It's extreemly quick to sew leaving lots of room for very cute emblishments. The overalls were made into shorts and fully lined for this project.
Posted by Tracy at 7:25 AM